I don’t know why I’ve waited so long to share this project, but somehow time has gotten away from me.
For Christmas, my sister (and brother-in-law) requested some sort of artwork to hang up in their home. I think she mentioned a painting, but I haven’t painted in a long time and this was something I’d been curious to try.
Until I started researching examples I didn’t know that this was called ‘quilling.’ I didn’t know there were tools for it or that you could buy the paper already in strips. I improvised the tool I used (a snipped needle wedged in a cork, nice), spent a day cutting paper into strips and then worked around the letters I had set up as a base.
I started with the middle pannel so that I could work from there into the outside two panels, which worked well. The final panel was the hardest to make, although I’m not sure if it was because of the different design or because it was the last one I was making — I was terrified to mess it up.
Ed helped me show what needed filling in. I also noticed that if I sat working for too long I would get incredibly frustrated and unable to commit to gluing anything down, so I alternated between this project and knitting, stepping away proving to be vital.
It took a little planning to get these home, also. I took the Megabus back to Cleveland and was too scared to stick them in my suitcase, so I made boxes for each one and carried them on with me in a bag, holding them on my lap the entire trip. It wasn’t uncomfortable, really, but I felt bad whenever I rustled the plastic bag.
Tomorrow, the end results.